Store Specialist - Customer Service and Grocery
Benefits and Pay:
- Starts $12.75/hour minimum to train, pay increases after 90 days to a range of $13.50 at a minimum.
- 20% Co-op grocery discount
- Medical insurance options after 90 days for full time staff (plus dental and vision)
- Two Paid Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program (free anonymous counseling).
- Paid time off
References required: please include 2 professional and 1 personal (not a family member) references. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Work Schedule: This is a full time position, 40 hours/week. This is a full time role, with at least one weekend day/week required.
Goal: Specialist roles are leadership roles, opening and closing departmental areas, training, and helping with replenishment ordering for their areas. They help to coordinate an excellently merchandised and accurately priced store area with a product mix that meets customers’ needs, meets Co-op purchasing guidelines, and contributes to the financial best interest of the Co-op. They work cooperatively with members of the public, vendors, staff, and supervisors. They strive to keep a positive and solution oriented work and shopping environment. Ensures a consistent and positive shopping experience for customers, peers, and other Co-op staff.
Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Provides outstanding and advanced internal and external service.
- Fulfills daily cleaning tasks, cleanup/upkeep of personal areas, and periodic cleaning.
- Works with systems to improve customer service, ownership processes, and special ordering. Works with special orders for the department.
- Upholds and models Customer Service Commitment.
- Offers samples, suggestions and product information to customers.
- Maintains familiarity with all areas of the store in order to best assist customers.
- Responds to requests from customers to research product availability, price and quality issues.
PURCHASING & PRICING
- Works with Manager and Coordinators to ensure replenishment purchasing for assigned areas; ensures reception of orders and obtains credits following established procedures.
- Follows trends, does market research and uses SPINS to ensure optimal product mix and pricing.
- Pulls product, installs signage and follows up with vendor (credits, etc) regarding product recalls.
- Ensures that unsellable items are recorded and returned or disposed of following established procedures.
- Communicates needs of Owners and customers to Coordinators and Managers.
- Maintains accurate pricing for profitability and price image. Ensures accurate costs, margins and data in Point of Sale (POS) system.
- Completes periodic inventory counts.
MERCHANDISING & PROMOTIONS
- Oversees areas as assigned, makes replenishment purchases as directed.
- Coordinates area floor plan and strategically utilizes end-caps and display areas.
- Supports periodic category resets according to store wide plans.
- Maintains attractive displays and accurate shelf/bin tags and sale signs and ensures ordering of sufficient merchandise to stock sets for duration of display.
- Works with Marketing and departmental Manager to ensure accurate, up-to-date product signage; coordinates departmental sales and sale changeovers.
- Provides product information to customers, staff, and submits periodic department-related articles to the Co-op’s newsletter, e-news, website, etc.
- Works with all levels of Co-op staff in a manner that supports department financial performance; coordinates production and cleaning schedule.
- Maintains departmental procedures for specialization, ex: recipe ingredients and pricing for Kitchen/Bakery Specialist.
- Takes training as designed for the position, and supports training plans for staff according to role.
- Keeps accurate records as directed.
- Ensures that department areas are in clean, orderly condition meeting Health Department and customer service standards.
- Communicates equipment needs to department Coordinators and Manager.
- Takes the lead during departmental and/or area opening and closing shifts.
- Attends meetings as assigned.
- Accountable for departmental and store-wide communication practices, including emails, logs, whiteboards, etc.
- Role models and utilizes systems/processes created to streamline efficiencies within the Co-op; accepts changes, and adapts to the changing needs of the business.
- Maintains correspondence with staff, vendors, customers, and Owners on behalf of the Co-op for department and store in general through email, phone, etc.
- Maintains team and departmental information on shared team drives and follows organizational protocol for use of shared calendars, schedules, and other technology.
- Assists with the growth and development of the Keweenaw Co-op, including problem solving and quality improvement.
- Reviews area operations and recommends changes in, or better utilization of resources.
- Communicates and coordinates departmental needs with Manager and Coordinators.
- Adheres to the Staff Agreement.
- Supports decisions made by the Management Team.
- Serves on-call as necessary.
- Strives for continuous improvement.
- Accountable for area personnel and assisting with human resources or supervision, including, but not limited to:
- Completion of training checklists and training programs.
- Coordination of work for staff as they move throughout the specialty area.
- Assists when needed with break coverage.
- Takes advantage of teachable moments.
- Completes store checklists regarding state of the store, safety, and cleaning, on a scheduled basis.
- Role models conflict resolution and safety procedures.
- Models and works to ensure honest and open lines of communication within and among departments and staff.
- Models supportive and participative leadership; promotes concepts of team building and empowerment.
- Communicates in a clear, direct, and respectful manner.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, customer service standards and guidelines.
- Models organizational service goals and standards.
Performs other duties as assigned.